Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The End

      366 days ago, John Sato was born, albeit under a different name. It was an impulsive decision, starting a blog, but also a calculated one. I had those grandiose dreams of becoming an internet celebrity, garnering hundreds of comments every day and becoming a prolific voice in every industry I touched. . .and I knew those were just dreams. I was fully aware of the fact that I would get few-to-no commenters, little exposure, would make posts I'd be less than happy with, and stumble along the way. That being the case, when I started I set myself a few reasonably lofty goals. I wanted to review my favorite anime series like Mushishi and Kin's Journey. I wanted to review my favorite video games, like Jazz Jackrabbit 2. I wanted to articulate my views on why I feel video games are an art form. And finally, I wanted to have discussions about various aspects of games, anime, and as time went on even blogging.

      As of today, I've accomplished each of those goals, to an extent I can be satisfied with. In other words, I've completed what I originally set out to do when I started this blog. It's time to go.

      . . .Or so I say, but I'm not killing the site off just yet. The reason I started John Sato was so I could have an outlet for my thoughts and opinions on media (interactive or otherwise), and I doubt the need I have for that will go away so easily. What I am doing is putting this site in a state of sporadic hibernation. No more post obligations, deadlines, or apologies for not updating. In truth, this is less a change of policy than it is an admittance of what has already happened. I mean, I took an unannounced twenty day hiatus between November and December as far as post releasing goes. Granted, it was finals week, but still, hardly the sign of an active, fit blogger. All that's being accomplished is that I'm stressing out; I feel bad for not updating my blog but either have no inspiration or am too busy to really do anything about it. Furthermore, my stats are telling me that my few readers can deal just fine with my intermittent posting. So really, all I'm doing is trying to cut down on the amount of stress my hobby causes me. Hopefully, taking the obligations off won't turn me into a layabout that makes 2 posts a year or something; if so, however, I've already done what I originally meant to, so it won't be a huge loss.

      So, is this is end of John Sato? Well, it depends on how you look at it. If a blog that has no schedule or regular updates can truly be called “alive,” then no, it's not. If it can't, however, then yes; today marks the end of John Sato. Of course, there's also the view that a blog functioning like this is doomed anyway, so it might as well be the end. Either way, if you're looking for an excuse to remove my blog from your blogroll/reading list, this is the perfect chance (I completely understand).

      I think the real purpose with anniversary posts, however, is more to reflect on the year before than to focus on the one to come. That being the case, I would like to thank each and every one of my readers. The quality of my posts has been all over the place, and some people have understandably stopped visiting. To those that kept coming back in spite of it all, though: thank you. You're what makes this outlet so special. You're the reason I don't just delete my whole blog and start anew when I want to erase the shame of certain posts (well, you and the fact that naming blogs is hard). I would love to thank each and every one of you in this community whom I've interacted with over the past year, but I want to keep this brief – and more to the point there are far too many names to list now! Rest assured, however, that if you've ever commented, told me you read a post on Twitter, or we've chatted somewhere else, that I remember you. Thank you playing the huge part that you did in what has been a fantastic, life-changing year for me.

      Please have a wonderful rest of your holiday season, and I hope we meet again someday – preferably sooner rather than later.

20 comments:

  1. Here's looking at you, John. :) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that although you omitted the question mark in the title of this post, you chose to imply it in the content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just uncanny. I was thinking about that exact thing when I saw this comment. Glad to know it came through in the post!

      Delete
  3. It's a shame to see you finish but if you feel it is for the best then I support you. Thank you for the company and I wish you the best in future endeavors.

    Hope to see you around twitter and the likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Ace! And don't worry about not seeing me around. I'm sure I'll poke my head out here every now and then, and I'll certainly keep reading others' blogs.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Dan, it is good to know your end is not confirmed and is still a question.

    It has been great talking to you this past year.

    Oh and even if you choose to never post here again, you have always got that ONEW place.

    p.s. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in retrospect I think I should have put a question mark at the end, but apparently it wasn't hard to pick up on.

      And it has been wonderful conversing with you as well, sir. :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry to see you...sorta go.

    I'll keep looking for future posts, however. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would rather you write something whenever you want, instead of having to follow a deadline. Though I am really tempted to make a request (haha). I like reading what others think of a game, whether it be good or bad as long as their arguments/opinions have a solid..base(ground?). I've been following this blog for about half a year or more I guess. I really like the detail you put into your posts. I'd rather you be posting rarely with good, well-thought out posts than pumping them out like a squirrel on coffeine. I think we all know how that is going to end. But I will still be checking this blog from time to time. Heck, I am tempted to make a blog myself, after seeing you write all of this. I enjoyed every moment of it. So good luck with the new year and may I continue to read your posts! Hopefully.

    Your friendly lurker, EvilMegaCookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support! That was part of the reason I decided to do this. There were a few posts I published, largely because I was so desperate to just put out *something*, and I didn't think the results were very good. :\ I hope that this allows me put out better posts in general, but also prevents me from making more content I'm unsatisfied with.

      That aside though, wow! Has it really been six months?! It feels like just a few weeks ago when you commented on that video game editorial I wrote after the project I did. . .man time flies. Thank you so much for sticking around all this time, and I hope the blog remains worthy of your readership this year as well!

      Delete
  7. Sato-kun...my dearest pineapple telepathy bro...my captain, oh captain!

    This has been a fun ride, from the moment we met online, till the day you wrote this post.

    However, that does not mark the end of everything.

    You will be back.

    Finish the fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Salutes* It's been a pleasure, sergeant.

      Will do! You couldn't keep me away if you tried (well, maybe you could, but you get my point)! And even if I don't write more posts (which I fully plan to), I'll still be here and there on other people's blogs, so you'll probably be seeing more of me anyways.

      Delete
  8. Oh man, I'm crying over here! I hope to see you back some day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I've been a lurker at your blog for a few months now and I'm happy to read the posts you made here. I'm okay with you doing sporadic posting, it's less stress for you. This isn't the end of this blog man. Looking forward to your sporadic posting, if you'll still be continuing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kuro, thanks for the support and understanding! Glad to know you've been enjoying the blog. Here's hoping it gets even better in the coming months, even if I end up making fewer posts.

      Also, thumbs up for lurker commenting! :)

      Delete
  10. Hey John. I've been away for the interwebs for a while, so this comment comes rather late.

    I must confess that when I saw this as the front page post upon my return, I was instantly crestfallen. My heart fell, my spirit sank, and I immediately regretted being away, since (I assumed) I would now lack any future opportunities to engage in discussion and pleasant conversation with a writer who had quickly become my favorite blogger. I had delayed making comments on numerous occasions because I wanted to refine them, and this now seemed a terrible waste.

    Then I actually read the post, and I realized I was overreacting.

    If you're stressed over the blog, then by all means, do what it takes to de-stress, John. This sort of thing isn't supposed to be trouble for you, it's supposed to be a relief. Something you do because you want to, not because you have to, and a place where you can relax and interact with people who... but I think this discussion has already occurred.

    Suffice to say, I'm relieved you're not vanishing entirely, and I won't forgive you for officially eliminating any kind of update schedule because there's nothing to forgive. You were never under obligation from your readers, so take the obligation off of yourself and relax.

    I could've said that better--but since delaying for the purpose of eloquence has previously kept me from making countless comments in a timely fashion, I figure it is currently more appropriate to say whatever comes to mind right away.

    It is this: You're cool. See you around.

    -Chris T

    P.S. I just watched Kino's Journey, finally. Will be reading your review soon, since I wanted to watch the show before I did, but I thought I'd share that your praise was the reason I watched it. I dragged a few friends along for the ride, and to sum up our opinion: we're in your debt. I'd never heard of it before coming here, and, as you know, it's frightfully worthwhile. So, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're back! Hi Chris!

      I'm glad to have proved your fears unfounded, and apologize for creating them in the first place. In hindsight, I guess the title is a little misleading. . .

      That aside, I really am flattered by your praise (I respect you immensely as a writer and thinker) - that I have your understanding as well is more than I could ask. Thank you giving both, and I hope that whatever content I make from here on out doesn't disappoint either!

      P.S. I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Most attempts of mine to share it have ended in failure, so having someone actually watch it because of me is pretty awesome.

      P.P.S. I'll always be around to read and reply to comments - though I can't promise I'll do it with expediency - so don't worry about me not seeing or responding to discussion.

      Delete